New Study Finds Pedestrian Fatalities on the Rise
A recent study conducted for the Governor’s Highway Safety Association has revealed that pedestrian fatalities caused by car accidents are rising throughout the country. Researchers analyzed data from all 50 states and found that pedestrian deaths account for roughly 15 percent of all deaths in traffic accidents. This reflects a significant increase over the past 10 years – in 2006, only 11 percent of car accident fatalities were pedestrians. The states with the highest amount of fatalities include New York, California, Florida, and Texas. In 2015, pedestrian hazards in these states represented more than 40 percent of all pedestrian fatalities based on resident population.
What Caused the Increase in Pedestrian Deaths?
The study found that there are a number of factors that are contributing to the rising number of deaths across the United States. These include:
- Distracted driving. Distracted driving has always been a concern, especially in today’s technology-centered world. Drivers who divide their attention between the roadway and mobile devices frequently cause accidents.
- Distracted pedestrians. Drivers aren’t the only people prone to distraction. Pedestrians who look down at cell phones, listen to music through headphones, or otherwise fail to pay attention to their surroundings are also highly susceptible to accidents.
- Shorter winters and warmer weather. Warmer weather has encouraged more people to walk than drive.
- Lower gas prices. Lower gas prices mean more drivers on the road, which increases the number of accidents that are likely to occur.
- A greater awareness of the health benefits of walking. Now more than ever, more people are choosing to walk in order to reap the benefits of physical exercise.
Contact a Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Lawyer - Available 24/7
The Brooklyn personal injury attorneys at Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices are available 24/7 to offer free consultations to victims of pedestrian accidents and their families. If you have been injured, don’t wait to contact our firm – each day you wait may be the last day you can bring a claim under the New York statute of limitations. Rest assured that when you choose to work with our firm, your case will be in excellent hands.
Contact our experienced legal team today to learn more about how we can assist you.