What to Do After a Car Accident
According to the NHTSA, a car accident happens about every 60 seconds in the United States. This year alone, around 2.9 million people will be hurt in a car accident, and around 43,000 people will unfortunately lose their lives. Distracted driving, drunk driving, drugged driving, speeding, failing to obey traffic signs and signals, and other negligent behaviors are just some of the reasons why innocent people suffer serious personal injuries. Even the most conscientious drivers are unfortunately at risk from the recklessness of others.
We hope you never have to experience a car crash, but if you do, it is important to be prepared.
Here’s what you should do if you are involved in a car accident:
- Make sure everyone is okay, including yourself. Move to safety as soon as possible and call 911 to summon the police and an ambulance, if necessary.
- Avoid making statements to anyone other than the police officer filling out your accident report. This includes making statements to the driver of the other car or their insurance company. Anything you say – even a simple apology – could be construed as an admission of guilt which could cost you your claim, so limit your interaction only to the exchange of contact and insurance information.
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene, the damage to your vehicle, and any injuries.
- If there are any nearby witnesses, see if you can get their names and contact information. They may be able to support your claim.
- If you did not need immediate medical care at the time of the accident, make sure you still see a doctor afterwards. Even if you didn’t immediately feel hurt, you should still get checked out since some common car accident injuries may not show symptoms right away. Failing to promptly seek medical care could jeopardize your recovery if you later learn you need care.
- Contact a Brooklyn car accident lawyer at Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices as soon as possible after your accident.
Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices has recovered millions of dollars for car accident victims. If you’ve been injured, we invite you to schedule a free case evaluation with a Brooklyn car accident attorney at our firm. Our goal is to maximize your compensation so that you can recover quickly from your accident.
Call our office today at (718) 690-3132.
We proudly serve clients in Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx.