E-scooters have grown increasingly popular in recent years, with both private companies and public transit services offering them as a convenient way to get around town. Unfortunately, there are certain risks associated with their operation due to relatively high speeds and open exposure to city streets, making it all the more important for New Yorkers to be aware of regulations before operating this equipment.
Keep reading to learn more about e-scooter safety regulations and operational use in New York.
Some important rules to keep in mind when operating an e-scooter in NYC include:
- Wear a helmet – Helmets are highly encouraged for every e-scooter operator, but are mandatory for any driver under the age of 18.
- Meet minimum age requirements – Riders must be at least 16 years old.
- Use bike lanes if available – These lanes are the preferred and safest way to travel.
- If no bike lane is available, riders can use city streets so long as the posted speed limit is 30 MPH or under.
- Obey NY traffic laws and basic safety precautions. –
- --Do not pass a red light at an intersection.
- --Always yield to pedestrians.
- Beware of turning vehicles who may not see you coming. Even if you believe you have the right of way, always act to avoid an accident.
- Operate cautionly on wet pavement.
- Use lights and reflectors on your equipment and clothing. Do not operate an e-scooter on the streets of Manhattan.
While e-scooterscan be a convenient and environmentally friendly way for New Yorkers to get around efficiently; it’s important for riders to understand that safety is paramount. Following these guidelines can help ensure that you enjoy your ride without putting yourself or others at risk of injury or getting fined by law enforcement officers.
Who Is Liable in an E-Scooter Accident?
Determining liability can be complicated in New York e-scooter accidents. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident, a variety of parties can be held liable for damages, including both individuals and companies. In any personal injury case, liability is determined based on key factors, including:
- Negligence of involved parties – Negligence can be determined by analyzing who breached their duty of care and whether that breach was the cause of the accident.
- Comparative fault – Comparative fault is when both parties are held responsible for the accident due to their own negligence. In such cases, compensation is awarded according to each party’s degree of fault.
- Applicable laws – Lastly, applicable laws may hold a person or entity liable if they fail to meet certain standards set forth by law.
In e-scooteraccidents, liability often falls on either the rider or another party whose negligence caused the rider's injury. Your experienced attorney will conduct a full investigation of the incident including obtaining any police reports, witness statements, and site evaulationsc to assist your case.
It's important to note that liability in e-scooteraccidents can vary depending on the jurisdiction in which it occurred. That’s why it’s best to consult with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer who can help determine the liability and pursue maximum compensation accordingly.
Common Injuries in NYC E-Scooter Accidents
There are various reasons why vehicles may strike an e-scooter rider cuasing injury:
- Driver inattention;
- Driver turns the vehicle without regard for approaching scooters approaching from the bike lane; Vehicle operator cell phone usage;
- Poor lighting and lack of sufficient reflective gear for the scooter rider;
In instances where another party is responsible for the rider’s injuries, such as a defective product or negligent actions, an experienced e-scooter accident lawyer can work diligently on behalf of injured parties in NYC to obtain fair compensation from those at fault.
5 Tips for Safe E-Scooter Operation in New York City
E-scooter accidents can cause considerable physical and emotional harm. That’s why it’s important to operate your scooter defensively. You should know your rights following any incident and understand who you could hold liable for your losses when filing a claim against them.
To proactively prioritize the safety of themselves and others on NYC streets, e-scooter riders should keep the following best practices in mind:
- Wear protective gear at all times – Even if you’re an experienced rider, it’s best to wear a helmet and other safety gear, such as elbow pads and knee pads, at all times when riding an e-scooter in New York City, as this can help reduce the severity of any injuries sustained in an accident.
- Be mindful of your speed – E-scooters are subject to the same speed limits as cars and other vehicles on the road, so obey posted speed limits and drive at a safe and reasonable speed to protect yourself and those around you. Pay extra attention when approaching intersections or crosswalks that may have pedestrians present.
- Check your e-scooter before each ride – Before taking off on your e-scooter, make sure to check your brakes and wheels for signs of wear or malfunctioning parts that could lead to an accident. Additionally, be aware of any recalls issued by the manufacturer regarding faulty products that could cause harm if not addressed properly.
- Remain alert at all times – Distracted driving is just as dangerous on e-scooters as it is in cars; avoid using cell phones or engaging in other activities that take your eyes off the road while riding an e-scooter in NYC. Being aware of potential hazards such as potholes, loose gravel, or unexpected obstacles will help keep you safe while enjoying a ride around town.
- Know who’s liable – If another party is responsible for your e-scooter injury, then a personal injury lawyer can help you pursue legal action against them depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident and applicable laws in New York State. Knowing who might be held liable for damages will help ensure that victims receive fair compensation for their losses after being affected by an accident involving an e-scooter.
Fiercely Advocating for New York’s Injured
Our accomplished lawyers at Koenigsberg & Associates have extensive experience representing injured New Yorkers in a variety of personal injury claims, from scooter and bicycle accidents to truck accidents. For over 25 years, we’ve committed ourselves to providing personalized, results-driven legal services for our injured neighbors in need, empowering them to recover and move on with their lives by fighting for the maximum compensation they deserve in court. Reach out today to learn how we can fight for justice and restore your physical and financial health after an NYC accident.
If you’ve been injured in an e-scooter accident, our firm can fight to recover maximum compensation. Call (718) 690-3132 to schedule a consultation.