Distracted Driving Accidents & Victims’ Rights
Pursue Compensation with a Brooklyn Car Accident Lawyer
Distracted driving has become a leading cause of car accidents across the country, causing thousands of preventable accidents, injuries, and deaths nationwide each year. Because distracted driving is dangerous, negligent, and illegal, victims who are injured in distracted driving accidents have every right to hold at-fault drivers accountable and recover the financial compensation they need for damages that include:
- Medical bills – past and future
- Lost work wages / lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
Whatever your damages may be, you can put yourself in the best position to recover the full compensation you are entitled to by working with proven car accident attorneys in Brooklyn. At Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices, our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers have helped thousands of car accident victims recover the money they rightfully deserved.
Call us today to learn how we can help you!
New York Driver Distraction Laws
A total of 46 states – in addition to the District of Columbia and certain U.S. territories – enforce laws that ban drivers from text messaging on the road. In New York, the laws against distracted driving are clear:
- Ban on hand-held devices for drivers of all ages
- Ban on text messaging for drivers of all ages
These strict bans on using cellphones and texting behind the wheel are primary laws. This means authorities can ticket drivers solely for using a phone or texting while driving. In some states, officers need to witness another offense or violation before citing drivers for distracted driving violations.
Why is Distracted Driving So Dangerous?
Our lawyers investigate and evaluate crashes carefully in order to illustrate clear fault and liability. With distracted drivers, this involves proving that the driver was distracted at the time of the crash despite knowing that distracted driving greatly increases one’s risk for accidents. This is because distracted driving diverts a motorists’ attention away from driving in multiple ways.
- Manual attention – Using a phone or text messaging often results in a driver taking one or both hands off the wheel. This can create limit their ability to not only steer the car safety but also respond quickly to potential hazards.
- Visual attention – Taking your eyes off the road can be deadly. According to the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, taking your eyes off the road while using a phone for just 5 seconds while traveling at 55 mph is equivalent to traveling the length of a football field blindfolded.
- Cognitive attention – Taking your mind off the road for any length of time can end disastrously, especially when traveling at high speeds or in congested traffic. Thinking about the message you’re writing or conversation you’re having increases the risk of crashing.
Injured in a Wreck? Speak with a Brooklyn Car Accident Attorney Today!
Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices has recovered millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements on behalf of victims injured by the negligence of others, including drivers who were texting or distracted. If you have questions about your legal rights and how our injury lawyers can help you take the next steps toward the compensation you deserve, our firm is ready to help.
Request a FREE consultation by calling (718) 690-3132.