Jackknife Truck Accident Lawyer in Brooklyn, NY
Seeking Maximum Compensation for the Injured
One of the most common and dangerous truck accidents is the jackknife accidents. These types of accidents occur when the trailer swings outward, forming a 90-degree angle with the cab. When the driver loses control of his or her truck and it jackknifes across multiple lanes of traffic, the results can be disastrous – the truck may hit other drivers as it swings out and other vehicles may not be able to react quickly enough to avoid an imminent collision. Accidents like these have the potential to cause serious injury and fatalities.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a jackknife accident, you may be entitled to compensation for damages. Contact a Brooklyn truck accident lawyer at Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices to request a free case evaluation.
What Causes a Truck to Jackknife?
Jackknife truck accidents can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- Speeding. Sudden changes in speed are a leading cause of jackknife accidents. Trucks need a great deal more stopping distance than passenger vehicles. Driving too fast and then attempting to abruptly brake can easily cause the driver to lose control.
- Unsafe driving for current weather conditions. Truck drivers need to drive with increased diligence in adverse weather conditions like rain or snow. Failing to slow down and increase their following distance when the weather is less-than-ideal greatly increases the chances of a wreck.
- Improperly-loaded trailers. A trailer that is overloaded or unevenly loaded can increase the chance that it will jackknife due to excessive weight and/or a shift in the trailer's center of gravity.
- Distracted driving. Distractions like making phone calls, texting, or eating while driving are notorious for causing jackknife truck accidents that injure and kill innocent people.
- Drowsy driving. Because truck drivers drive long hours and sometimes don’t take their required rest breaks, drowsy driving is a leading culprit behind many truck accidents. Drowsy drivers have decreased reaction times, often leading to the abrupt braking that causes jackknife accidents.
Contact a Brooklyn Truck Accident Attorney Now
Jackknife truck accidents have the potential to cause serious, long-lasting damage. If you have been injured, talk to an attorney at Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices as soon as possible to discuss who can be held liable for paying your medical bills, compensating you for your pain and suffering, and more. Our accident investigation team is prepared to review the circumstances of your case to determine who is responsible for compensating you, whether that is the driver of the truck, the driver’s employer, the entity responsible for loading the trailer, and/or another party. We have been representing injured people throughout New York City for decades and are backed by a history of million-dollar results.
Call today to learn more about how our firm may be able to help you: (718) 690-3132.