In recognition of National Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, it is vital for all motorists and drivers to do their part in keeping our roads safe. Unfortunately, motorcyclists risk their lives every day as they ride amongst negligent or inattentive drivers who do not share the road. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, motorcycle accidents involving a vehicle are generally the non-motorcyclist’s fault for violating the rider’s right of way.
Motorcycle accidents can happen for any number of reasons, including poor weather conditions, construction, equipment failure, and more. However, the majority of these accidents are a direct result of other drivers’ carelessness or misconduct. Investigating this cause will determine who is liable for your injuries and other damages resulting from the accident.
To protect yourself against a potential accident, consider these tips:
- Wear bright clothing and protective gear. Your motorcycle is much smaller than other vehicles and wearing neutral or dark colors can make you indistinguishable on the road.
- Stay out of other drivers’ blind spots. Use headlights and assume you are invisible to them.
- Watch out for road hazards such as potholes, puddles, gravel, and other debris.
- Never drink and ride.
- Do not weave in and out of lanes and beware when lane-splitting.
- Perform routine checkups and maintenance on your motorcycle.
Seeking a Dedicated & Aggressive Motorcycle Accident Lawyer? Contact Us Today
At Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices, we know even the most responsible and careful motorcyclists can become the victim of a devastating accident. Due to the nature of these accidents, the motorcyclist is often far worse for wear than the driver who was protected by his or her vehicle. If you have been injured due to the negligence or recklessness of another, look no further than our firm to reach motorcycle accident attorneys you can rely on.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch with our legal team today. Call (718) 690-3132.