Tips to Avoid a Slip & Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents account for thousands of injuries each year in the United States. Property owners owe a reasonable duty of care to visitors, which means they must provide adequate warnings of dangerous conditions that could lead to a slip and fall accident. There are several things you can do to protect yourself and avoid a slip and fall accident.
- Wear proper shoes. It is important to wear shoes that are comfortable, that are properly sized to your feet, and that have adequate traction. Stilettos or flip flops may put you at greater risk of a slip and fall accident than tennis shoes. While this doesn't mean you have to wear tennis shoes all the time, it is important to keep in mind that stylish shoes aren't always the safest.
- Avoid distractions. Distracted driving is very dangerous. Distracted walking also poses serious risks. You need to be able to see where you are going, especially when you are going up or down stairs, crossing the street, or walking somewhere that has a lot of obstacles, like the aisles of a grocery store. It is also a good idea to keep your hands free in case you need to balance yourself or grab a hand rail. By paying attention to your surroundings, you can reduce your risk of a slip and fall accident and stay safe.
- Pay attention to the surface of the floor. Slick floor surfaces, such as smooth tile, could cause you to lose traction, especially if you are wearing old shoes or high heels. Wet or damp floors, as well as cracked pavement or concrete, could also put you at risk. It is important to pay attention to the condition of the floor and to walk slowly to avoid slipping.
- Scan for obstacles. When walking, it is important to scan the floor or path for obstacles that could cause you to trip. These include power cords, toys, boxes, shoes, ledges, steps, and other obstacles. By looking ahead, you can see these hazardous conditions and avoid an accident.
- Pay attention to warning signs. Property owners must remove all hazardous conditions on their property that could cause an injury. However, if they are not feasibly able to remove the condition, they must at least put a warning sign to alert guests. It is important to pay attention and look for warning signs when you go to a restaurant, shopping center, business office, or other location. If you see a “Wet Floor” sign, you should walk slowly and exercise caution. By paying attention to warning signs, you can stay alert and help avoid a slip and fall accident.
Diligent Representation for Clients in Brooklyn
Even when you follow the safety tips listed above, you may suffer an injury due to someone else’s negligence or carelessness. At Koenigsberg & Associates Law Offices, we believe property owners and others must be held accountable for their actions in court. Our Brooklyn slip and fall accident attorneys will investigate the situation, answer your questions, and guide you through the process as you seek justice from those responsible.
Call us today at (718) 690-3132 to schedule a free consultation.